Monday, September 13, 2004

 

Sculptures In The Air

That's what Frank Zappa claimed he made. It appeals to me as a description of music. It so perfectly removes absolutely everything that actually matters. I'm not listening to enough music. My hands are moulting at the moment so I can't play any music at all.

Partly I've been broke long enough that I've now built up a huge list of music I need to own now. The new Libertines album, anything by Franz Ferdinand or Tinariwen, Graham Parker's country album, a whole load of stuff I need to be able to hear now. It overwhlems the need to hear what I've heard before. I know it exists and I need to know what it's like.

Then there are the back catalogues. I've barely scratched the surface of Brenda Fassie or Angelique Kidjo's output, I need to get around to hearing what Martin Simpson has been doing.

I suppose I may have to get into the whole music download thing, but storage space is at a premium on my PC, so it'll have to wait a while yet. The other problem being that most of what I want to hear is fairly obscure. In the mean time I'll just have to settle for going over old ground again.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?